Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Opening Statement

       This is the beginning of a blog.  My plan is to write about commuting by bicycle in northern Idaho, specifically my commute from Post Falls, Idaho to my job at a skilled nursing facility in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  It will include other commuters that I have met over the years, including Gym Teacher and the Honda Chic.
       
        This is my 5th season commuting from this location.  I generally ride from when the roads are clear from snow (usually mid February) until they start plowing them again in December.  My commute is 7.6 miles each way, but is sometimes a little longer if I run errands.  I normally ride everyday, unless I absolutely need to have a car with me (and even then I sometimes bum one of my staff members cars.  He doesn't mind)

        Gym Teacher rides the opposite direction from me, from his house in Coeur d'Alene to his teaching gig in Post Falls.  We passed each other daily for a couple of years, offering each a other the obligatory  " how's it going?", until 2 years ago when we stopped and chatted.  Now we stop and talk 4 to 5 times a week.

        I usually only see Honda Chic when I'm running even later than normal.  She will catch me on the trail, and then I have to ride hard to stay with her.  She rides a true rode bike, and I am on a converted mountain bike, currently with studded snow tires, so keeping up with her is work, but pride goeth before a drop.

       During the summer months, there are other commuters, especially this summer when gas was over $4 a gallon.  By this time of year however, the ranks have thinned considerably.   Right now, It's not bad.  Morning commutes have been in the mid 30's with some sun, and afternoon commutes have been in the low 50's.  The sun is going down around 4, so my ride home is in the twilight.  Another  couple of weeks  and it will be dark for both commutes.  And tomorrow it just might snow.  We'll see.

No comments: