Sunday, December 21, 2008

What a Wimp



As you know, my imaginary reader, I have quit commuting to work due to snow. The roads are bad, the trail is covered in deep snow, and I have no inclination to have a 2 hour commute. You will also notice in my links column, that I read the blog, Up in Alaska, regularly. If you follow the link to that blog, you will discover that Jill already has over 500 miles for the month, and as you look at her incredible photographs, you will realize that she is riding in some pretty horrid conditions.

Now I ask you, is it because she is tougher than me, more dedicated than me, or a stronger person than me? I will answer you with an emphatic NO! It is because she has the one thing that I don't have (no, not those): a Pugsley. Yes, if I only had one more bicycle, then my life would be complete. I would be able to sell my gas guzzling, insurance dependent, constantly needing costly repairs, old, worn-out truck. I would ride my bike to work everyday of the year, no matter what. Yes, I would finally be auto free.

Except, now I need to go to the store to get groceries. Ahh, what to do, what to do. I've got it! Another bike. Yeah, that's it! I need either a Kona Ute, or a Surly Big Dummy.

That would solve all my problems. With the right set-up, I would be able to go to the grocery store, the farmers market, even take my mountain bike with me to work, so that I can ride Canfield after work. Yep, all I need is a Pugsley, and a long bike.

X+1=Y. That is the formula for bike ownership (not my creation). X is the number of bikes owned, Y is the number of bikes needed. Always one more, a never ending quest for bicycle fulfillment. Or maybe I should just learn to be contented with what I have. Yeah, that's it. I just need to go to Amazon to buy some books on how not to be so caught up in consumerism...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No, she is tougher, more dedicated, and stronger than you, but that doesn't mean you still don't need a new bike (or two). By the way she's tougher, more dedicated, and way stronger than me too!!!